Snapshot: How Your PR Internship is Different from College
Written by JWC PR Assistant Audrey Buchanan
Let’s face it, as much as your college professors claim to simulate their classes to be like the real word, the only thing that can give you insight on the real world is going out into it and learning for yourself. Up until my experience at J. Walcher Communications, I actually thought that everything I do in my public relations classes was mirroring what public relations professionals do on a daily basis.
I quickly realized that my perception of what PR pros really do was off, but not in a bad way, and here’s why. Public relations as a practice is taught as a big picture look at what the profession is all about. Your internship takes that big picture, breaks it into a photo album of smaller pictures and gives you a comprehensive understanding of all the different aspects that went into creating the portrait of your profession.
While the big picture is important, the photo album is what separates you from everyone else. That’s why, it’s important to make sure that your internship provides you with the skills, or in this case “photos,” you need to be the best portrait in the public relations look book.
So, what’s that album with J. Walcher Communications look like? Here’s a snapshot of what you can expect:
- Time Management Skills – There’s no time to waste! Every day you’ll need to come in and get organized with a prioritized daily task list. (Trust me, these lists are life savers.)
- Constructive Collaboration – You’re a member of the team! After your time at JWC, you’ll be able to collaborate with others and know what it’s like to be a part of the brainstorming process.
- Snazzy Social Media Posts – Learn how to post (for businesses that is)! Taking those 140 characters and turning heads will get you an instant favorite from JWC and its clients.
- A Personalized Portfolio – Be ready to write! JWC gives you the opportunity to create content that will produce the results you need to impress your future employers.
- Respected References – Ask and you shall receive! Anyone who’s interned or knows a previous intern will tell you that J. Walcher has some of the best employees that give you the guidance you need to get your career started.
If you ask me, that’s the perfect “album” to get you started. So what are you waiting for? Take the next step to becoming a PR pro by applying for JWC’s summer internship today!